The Hub of your Stay
The Gables Hotel warm friendly family service in Gretna, known for weddings however there is so much more to do. Instead of tying the knot! Why not use The Gables Hotel as a hub to discover both Scotland & England. We would love to see you. Here are just a few things you can do and visit from The Gables Hotel.
- Popular outlet shopping centre attracting great brand names at even better prices just 5 minutes away.
- Hadrian's Wall 20 minutes by car.
- Carlisle Castle 12 miles away.
- Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery in Carlisle.
- Four golf courses within 30 minutes drive some of which are championship qualifying courses.
- The Solway Coast is on our doorstep, stretching from Rockcliffe Marsh on the Scottish Border to just North of the historic harbour town of Maryport.
- The first Tibetan Buddhist Centre in the West just 28 miles away on the banks of the River Esk.
- Block buster movie Mission Impossible was filmed on the railway line between Gretna and Dumfries .
- Feeling energetic three of the 7stanes Mountain biking centres are located within an hour of The Gables and two more within one and half hours; Whinlatter Forest Park biking centre next to Keswick in the Lake District is within an hours drive.
- The first Dark Sky Park in the UK at Dumfries and Galloway forest is about an hour from Gretna.
- In less than one hour you can be on the coast road from Dumfries to Dalbeattie, taking in the panoramic views over the Solway to the Cumbria Mountains and stopping at hidden hamlets like Rockcliffe or Kippford.
- The Devils Porridge Exhibition just five miles away. This amazing exhibition tells the story of the Greatest Munitions Factory on earth, when volunteers came from around the world to make explosives together.
Still thinking about what you could do staying at The Gables? Well that is where our staff would be more than happy to help. However if you just want to relax then you can we have a well stocked Bar and great food.
Have you heard about the exciting Year of Homecoming 2014. With the Commonwealth Games and Ryder Cup taking place in Scotland along with a wide range of events and activities to showcase all that's great about Scotland; The Gables Hotel in Gretna is a great place to stay and use as a starting point for your adventure into Scotland.
Edge of an Empire
The mighty Roman Empire stretched from northern Africa, across to the Middle East, from the western Iberian Peninsula, across central Europe to the far northern reaches of Britannia – effectively covering the then known world.